Truck Accident Lawyer | Are You Injured in a Trucking Accident You are likely to have been in an accident involving a large truck because you’re here.
You have been injured in a trucking accident and you are now seeking legal assistance to help you get the best possible financial compensation under Illinois law. Truck Accident Lawyer | Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC’s personal injury lawyers are here to help you get the most compensation for your Illinois personal injuries.
If you have lost a loved ones in a semitruck accident, we can help you pursue a wrongful-death lawsuit. Our team can help you in your recovery.
Contact our Chicago truck wreck lawyers today to schedule a free consultation to discuss all your legal options with an experienced truck accident lawyer.
Find the Best Truck Accident Lawyers
It is understandable that you are overwhelmed by the complexity of your claim for a commercial vehicle accident. You need experienced truck accident lawyers to help you with your personal injury case. Truck Accident Lawyer | Truck accidents are more complex than other types of collisions, such as car accidents. This is due to the commercial context of logistics (and the insurance companies that defend them) and their greater complexity.
Truck crashes involving passenger cars or SUVs are often caused by multiple parties. Truck Accident Lawyer | These entities include corporations who are skilled in the defense of truck accident lawsuits and claims brought against them for injury or death.
Semi-Trucks Are Considered “Unsafe”
The Federal Hours of Service Regulations apply to all trucking companies where truck drivers spend up to 11 hours a day behind the wheel of a truck. This is based on a strict schedule.
Trucking laws require that truck drivers can not be on duty more than 11 hours per day after having worked for 10 consecutive off-duty hours. These rules can be broken and drivers could face fines, license suspension, revocation or even jail time.
Truck drivers must also take breaks throughout the day. This is to ensure that they are not driving after being on duty for more than a set number of hours.
Each trucking company must comply with the laws of the state and highway safety regulations. These regulations cover truck drivers’ qualifications, vehicle maintenance and insurance requirements.
A Chicago truck accident lawyer is able to help you with claims against different carriers for commercial vehicle accidents.
What to do if you hit a semi-truck on the highway or Interstate
Although many states have laws that separate automobile collisions from semi-truck accidents in their laws, Illinois is one the five “home rule” states. This means that local communities are able to pass their own traffic laws as long as they don’t conflict with state laws.
All interstate trucking companies in Chicago must register with Illinois Commerce Commission and obtain a valid safety permit to operate on interstate highways.
- These steps will help you if you get into an accident with a commercial truck.
- Report the truck accident to the police immediately
- For assistance in investigating a personal injury claim, call your insurance company
- If you can, obtain the truck driver’s name, license number, phone number, as well as insurance information
- If multiple vehicles were involved in the truck/car accident, get information from all parties
- You should not accept responsibility for the truck accident, nor apologize to the truck driver, even if you are hit.
- Once the trucking company is notified about an accident, make sure they contact your insurance carrier.
- Even if your truck accident injuries do not seem serious, you should seek medical attention.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC has successfully prosecuted cases involving semi-tractor-trailers across Illinois and the Midwest, recovering millions of dollars in settlements in commercial vehicle collisions for our clients.
Our semi-truck accident lawyer will help you navigate your case so you can concentrate on healing from the emotional and physical trauma caused by your trucking accident.
We know what to do to help victims of truck accidents
Our law offices are located in Chicago, Illinois. We have extensive experience with truck accident cases involving integral Illinois highways like Kingery Expressway, I-80, I-94, Bishop Ford Freeway, I-94), Dan Ryan Expressway, I-90, I-94), Ronald Reagan Memorial Tollway, I-88, and Eden’s Expressway, I-94.
These are all common places for semi-truck accidents. However, regardless of where your accident occurred, we know exactly what to look out for.
Our trucking accident lawyers are experts in the cause of trucking accidents.
Truck accidents are often caused by truck driver negligence and fatigue, but our legal team regularly sees victims of trucking accidents that involve:
- Rear-end collisions
- Intersection impacts
- Left-hand-turn accidents
- Head on impacts
- Rollover accidents
- For road conditions, driving too fast
- Poor maintenance
- You may be hit by illegally turned vehicles
- Refusal to yield the right-of-way
- Trucks with commercial trucks that run red lights or stop signs
Both our current and former clients were involved in serious injuries from commercial vehicle accidents, including:
- Neck and back injuries, including herniated disks
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Organ damage from the inside
- Joint injuries to the knee, hip and shoulder
- Fatal truck accidents
- Other serious injuries
Truck Accidents are a Common Cause in Chicago, Illinois Area
Truck accidents, just like car accidents involving passenger cars, can be caused by almost any number of reasons.
Chicago truck accident lawyers represent victims of truck accidents due to many factors, including poor road conditions, poor truck maintenance, driver error, driver fatigue , poor training, and driver fatigue.
Large semi-truck accidents that involve truck driver negligence include truck rollovers, rear end collisions and jackknives.
Examples for Truck Accident Settlements
Chicago truck accident lawyers have handled complex semi-truck cases and won.
Here are some examples from settlements and truck accidents claims we have won on behalf of our clients. This allows them to focus on their recovery and reduces their burden and medical expenses.
For questions regarding trucking accidents, please contact our office to speak with an experienced truck accident attorney.
- $1,000,000:Rear end truck collision resulting in plaintiff needing to have back surgery. The lawsuit was filed in Cook County.
- $1.250,000: A large truck rear-ended a commercial driver. The plaintiff had two operations to repair herniated discs in the back. Both truck drivers as well as their trucking company reached a settlement in DuPage County.
- $1.100,000: Two people were injured when their friend’s car was hit by a truck. Both of the clients sustained spinal injuries that required surgery. The lawsuit was filed in Cook County, and also included other vehicles.
- $1.025,000: An 18-wheeler was chasing a young woman on Cicero Avenue, between Fullerton Avenue and Damen Avenues. The victim of a trucking accident filed suit against the truck driver as well as his trucking company. The case is still pending.
- $750,000 Loading Dock Accident involving a trucker who was crushed by a forklift. The suit was filed in Kane County.
- $616.772: Settlement to four friends who were injured by a large truck passing through a redlight at an intersection, Aurora, IL at high-speed.
- $500,000 Clients who were injured in an accident involving a garbage truck after an Illinois State Trooper collision on I-55 in Rock Island County, resulted in a settlement. This was one of two truck crashes that occurred within one mile of one another on the freeway.
What You Need to Know about Commercial Vehicle Accident Cases
Because truck company cases are a key part of our legal practice, our legal team is well-versed in their complexities. You can find helpful information here to help you understand the legal context surrounding your claim.
For more information on trucking accidents, please contact our firm to arrange a complimentary initial consultation.
- You bear the burden of proof. Once the trucking company has been proven liable, the plaintiff must prove liability and damages. Your injuries and the truck driver’s negligence must be proven. Expert testimony from experts witnesses and treating physicians may be required in truck accident cases that involve substantial damage. This will establish the causal link between the truck collision and your truck/car accident injuries.
- You have a case against commercial entities. If you are involved in an accident with a commercial vehicle owned by a corporation, know that these companies and their insurances are adept at investigating and fighting similar claims and can do it quickly and inexpensively. Before you contact the insurance company, consult our Chicago truck accident lawyers.
- Worker’s compensation could cover your truck claim: It depends on the employment status and legal rights of the truck driver to file a worker’s compensation case or make a claim against the person who caused or contributed the accident or unsafe condition. Rosenfeld Law represents truck driver injured to ensure the best possible outcome.
Permanent Disabilities resulting from a Catastrophic Truck Collision
In certain cases, victims may sustain severe traumatic brain injuries or spinal cord damage.
The truck accident lawyer representing the injured client can seek lifetime compensation as part of the negotiations. This is to compensate for the compromise caused by traumatic brain injury (or spinal cord damage).
The following are contributing factors to determining the value of a lawsuit involving a permanent impairment:
- Renovations of a home to accommodate a disability
- A transportation van
- There is a need for caregivers who can work around the clock.
- Past and future lost earnings
- Medical expenses for life
- The two most painful things in life are suffering and pain
The Effect of a Truck Accident on the Injured Victim’s Life
An injury sustained in a truck accident can have a devastating impact on the victim’s life. Sometimes, severe injuries can result in the victim being unable to work again or provide support for their family.
For the victim and their loved ones, these changes can lead to a dramatic turn in events. It is crucial to consult a semi-truck accident lawyer if you have been hurt in a truck crash.
What to do if you have been involved in a truck accident
You should immediately begin the claims process if you are involved in an accident with a semi. If you are seriously injured, it may be difficult to get help.
- Report the collision to the police. First, report the incident at the accident site and get a police report. Keep the facts straight and don’t embellish the incident with your opinions.
- Document the scene of the collision: Take pictures and get contact information for anyone who may be able to help. This means you should take photos of the crash scene and gather contact information for witnesses.
- Report the accident to your insurer: It’s very important that you report the crash to insurance companies. This will initiate the process for you to file a personal injury claim. It will inform your insurance company about what happened. They won’t be able to learn first from the truck driver.
- Get legal representation in Chicago for truck accidents: Your actions immediately after a collision could determine whether or not you can receive a settlement.
Truck Accident Cases Statistics
As a victim of a Chicago truck accident, you are not the only one.
- According to the Illinois Department of Transportation ( IDOT), 14% of those involved in Illinois trucking accidents are hurt.
- According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration ( FMCSA), 87% of truck accidents are caused by truck drivers who fail to comply with state and federal regulations.
- About 10% of tractor-trailer large-trailer accidents are caused by defective equipment on semi-trucks.
Chicago personal injury lawyers proudly represent truck drivers who have been injured in the Midwest by our Chicago personal injury attorneys.